Sunday, April 30, 2017

See you later

April community service hours: 9 hours
Spring Semester total community service hours: 44 hours
2016-2017 Academic year total community service hours: 75 hours

And with that, the Spring semester has concluded, meaning our MS program has concluded. It is pretty incredible to think that this much time has already passed. I never imagined enjoying this experience as much as I have. I anticipated moving 12 hours from North Carolina to New Orleans with the sole goal to perform well academically and be on my way to reapply with a stronger application. Yet, reflecting now, I know I immediately did not approach this experience that way. Ultimately, I need to thank the faculty, staff, my classmates and the city of New Orleans generally for welcoming me with open arms and allowing me to have this life-changing, unforgettable experience. Thank you.

Though the semester has ended, I will continue working with NAMI New Orleans on a weekly basis until I leave New Orleans in June. This past month, I continued help making calls to local businesses, including golf courses this month, for donation requests for upcoming fundraisers in addition to my normal tasks such as answering the NAMI Helpline. It has been an incredible year working with NAMI and helping individuals living with mental illnesses within the community. I will certainly find ways to continue working with NAMI when I move back to North Carolina. Thank you NAMI New Orleans for this opportunity.

I will see those of you who stayed around in a few weeks (and between then, we are friends) to walk at commencement. My days are numbered in New Orleans as I am leaving the first weekend of June, but it'll be a see you later and not a goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment