Friday, September 30, 2016

Settling In

As September ends, I definitely feel myself settling into New Orleans. My community work with NAMI New Orleans has certainly made me feel like I am becoming a part of this community. As I previously mentioned, NAMI’s big fundraiser for this fall, NAMIWalks New Orleans, is a second line, which will be October 15th. This month we had a preliminary meeting with NAMI leadership to discuss what opportunities there are for volunteers at the event. We were provided maps of the event, descriptions of volunteer opportunities, and associated upcoming fundraisers in community restaurants and bars. It feels amazing to connect with others in the community who share a similar interest in promoting mental health awareness and decreasing stigma. I will be helping primarily with the set-up of the event bright and early but I anticipate helping with a variety of other opportunities such as serving New Orleans’ famous red beans and rice to event attendees or encouraging and providing water to walkers during the event. I have helped publicize the event by putting up posters at my apartment complex and at my favorite study spot in New Orleans, Zotz cafĂ©. I am contacting the appropriate Tulane university personnel to see if I can be approved to put up posters in university buildings, such as Hutchinson Memorial where we often have class. Also, I will be attending a few fundraising events leading up to the event in the coming two weeks to continue helping NAMI New Orleans hopefully reach their goal of raising $160,000, which will serve as funds for many of their great support programs provided throughout the year.



September Community Service Hours – 2 hours

Cumulative Fall 2016 Community Service Hours – 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment